(Download) Railway Recruitment Board : Junior Engineer
(JE) Exam Papers-28-JUNE-2019
1. A certain sum amounts to Rs.1725 in 3 years and Rs.1875 in 5 years. Find
the rate of Simple Interest.
2. Litmus is used to test which of the following?
A) Aqueous or pure liquid
B) Moist gas or dry gas
C) Acidic or alkaline
D) Semi-solid or solid
3. The age of a man is three times the sum of the ages of his two sons. Five
years hence, his age will be double of the sum of the ages of his sons. Find the
father's present age.
4. Find the ODD one out from the given options.
A) Triangle : Prism
B) Circle : Cylinder
C) Square : Cube
D) Rectangle : Cylinder
5. Fresh yeast cells are a good source of-
6. Which of the following are the characteristics of acids?
A) Have sour taste
B) All of the options
C) Reacts with a metal to form hydrogen gas
D) Turns blue litmus red
7. Two persons X and Y row from points A to B and B to A respectively in
boats with still water speeds 25 km/h and 15 km/h. The speed of river is 5 km/h.
If they start at the same time from their respective points, in what time will
they meet for the second time, if the distance AB is equal to 600 km?
A) 15 hours
B) 40 hours
C) 30 hours
D) 20 hours
8. Bucket P has thrice the capacity as bucket Q. It takes 60 turns for
bucket P to fill a drum. How many turns will it take for both buckets P and Q
having turns together to fill the drum?
9. What is the SI unit of resistance?
A) Coulomb (Q)
B) Volt (V)
C) Joule (J)
D) Ohm (Ω)
10. If '+' means 'x', '-' means '+', '÷' means '-' and 'x' means '÷', then 9
÷ 5 + 4 - 4 x 2 = ?
11. Where is the headquarters of the Indian Postal Service (IPS) located?
A) New Delhi
12. Complete the series.
DEF, HIJ, MNO, (…)
13. 4NH3 + 5O2 →4NO + 6H2O is an example of-
A) Neutralisation reaction
B) Combination reaction
C) Decomposition reaction
D) Redox reaction
14. The Tropic of Cancer does NOT pass through ______.
B) Madhya Pradesh
15. Who was the last ruler of the Maurya dynasty?
B) Devavarman Maurya
C) Brihadratha Maurya
D) Chandragupta Maurya
16. An atom or a group of atoms carrying positive or negative charge on them
is known as-
17. If two sides of a right triangle other than the hypotenuse are 12 and 5,
then find the area of the triangle.
18. If a number is increased by 4 and divided by 6, the result is 8. What
would be the result, if 4 is subtracted from the number and then it is divided
19. What is the Present worth of Rs. 9826 due 2 years hence at 25/4%
compound interest annually?
A) Rs. 8704
B) Rs. 7804
C) Rs. 8740
D) Rs. 7840
20. Read the following information carefully and answer the question given
Eight persons—A, B, C, D, E, F, G and H are sitting around a square table
in such a way that four of them sit at four corners of the square while four sit
in the middle of each of the four sides. The ones who sit at the four corners
face the center while those who sit in the middle of the sides face outside.
A, who faces the center, sits third to the right of F. E, who faces the center,
is not an immediate neighbour of F. Only one person sits between F and G. D sits
second to the right of B. B faces the center. C is not an immediate neighbour of
What is the position of E with respect to F?
A) Third to the left
B) Fourth to the left
C) Second to the left
D) Fourth to the right
21. In which of the following years was the Indian Premier League started?
22. Find the HCF of set of prime numbers.
A) Does not exist
23. Praveen is sixth from the left end and Prasanna is tenth from the right
end in a row of boys. If there are eight boys between Praveen and Prasanna, how
many boys are there in the row?
24. In this question, three statements are given followed by three
conclusions. Choose the conclusion(s) which best fit(s) logically.
1) Some seeds are animals.
2) All animals are plants.
3) All plants are flowers.
I. Some seeds are plants.
II. All animals are seeds.
III. All plants are animals.
A) Only conclusions II and III follow
B) Only conclusions I and III follow
C) Only conclusion I follows
D) Only conclusion III follows
25. The length of a train and that of a platform are equal. If train running
at a speed of 90 km/h, crosses the platform in one minute, then find the length
of the train.
A) 500 m
B) 750 m
C) 900 m
D) 600 m
26. If the time is 8.40, what will be the time, if the clock is seen in a
27. Find the missing group of alphabets in the following series.
XWY, WVX, (…), UTV, TSU, SRT
28. If the ratio of surface areas of two spheres is 9 : 16, find the ratio
of their volumes.
A) 3 : 4
B) 9 : 16
C) 81 : 256
D) 27 : 64
29. Which fraction will occupy the middle place when 1/2, 3/4, 3/8, 7/4 and
2/3 are arranged in ascending order?
30. Tickets costing Rs.100 each were given to volunteers to be sold in aid
of an orphanage. One volunteer sold 75% of his tickets and had 80 tickets left.
How much money did he collect?
31. Raju is 17 years old. Five years back he was one-third of the age of his
uncle. How old is the uncle now?
32. Which of the following is formed by hexagonal arrays being placed in
layers one above the other?
33. In which of these languages did Mirza Ghalib write?
34. Which of the following fractions are equivalent?
1/2, 3/4, 3/8, 1/8, 6/8
A) 3/8, 1/8 and 6/8
B) 3/4 and 3/8
C) 3/4 and 6/8
D) 1/2 and 1/8
35. In a certain code language, 134 means 'good and tasty', 478 means 'see
good pictures' and 729 means 'pictures are faint'. Which of the following digits
stands for 'see'?
36. If (x/171) = (76/x), then find the value of 'x'.
37. _______ robot has earned international fame after winning the bronze
medal at the RoboGames 2009 in San Francisco.
38. In a set of 10 positive integers, one integer 'a' is misread as 'b'.
Then their average is reduced by 1.5. What is the value of (a - b)?
39. The mean weight of a class of students is 45 kg. If the weight of the
teacher is included, the mean is increased by 1.5 kg. What is the weight of the
teacher, if the number of students is 25?
A) 85 kg
B) 92 kg
C) 80 kg
D) 84 kg
40. What is the SI unit of energy?
A) Watt (W)
B) Ampere (A)
C) Volt (V)
D) Joule (J)
41. Ram is now x - 10 years old. How old will he be 10 years from now?
B) 10x - 10
C) x - 20
D) x + 10
42. What is the frictional force exerted by fluids called as?
A) Rock friction
B) Rolling friction
C) Sliding friction
43. Calcium phosphate is present in larger proportion in-
44. In which of the following cities did the Great Smog in 1952 take place?
D) New York
45. Pantothenic acid is also called-
A) Vitamin B3
B) Vitamin B2
C) Vitamin B5
D) Vitamin B1
46. Find the ODD one out from the given options.
A) 13 - 156
B) 11 - 132
C) 15 - 180
D) 16 - 176
47. After walking 6 km, I turned right and covered a distance of 2 km, then
turned left and covered a distance of 5 km and I was facing the north direction.
Towards which direction did I start the journey?
48. Simplify:- 1/3-√8 - 1/√8 -√7 + 1 /√7-√6 - 1/√6-√5 + 1/√5-2
49. The fibrous connective tissue which connects bones at joints are-
A) Connective tissue
D) Adipose tissue
50. Which of the following vitamins is fat soluble?
A) Vitamin C
B) Vitamin B6
C) Vitamin B7
D) Vitamin E
51. Complete the series.
31, 35, 43, 59, 91, (...)
52. _________ have equal number of neutrons.
B) Mass numbers
53. How many elements are there in Period 1?
54. Who is the present President of India?
A) Pratibha Patil
B) A. P. J. Abdul Kalam
C) Pranab Mukherjee
D) Ram Nath Kovind
55. Complete the series.
9, 5.5, 7.5, 19, 84, (...)
56. What are the main devices present in a hearing aid?
A) Microphone, amplifier and speaker
B) Sound absorber
C) Sound actuator
D) Sound horn
57. Water, when left uncovered, slowly changes into vapour due to-
58. Which of these tissues is rich in stored fat?
A) Adipose tissue
B) Fibrous tissue
C) Areolar tissue
59. Which of the following films has won the Best Animated Feature Film at
the 75th Annual Golden Globe Awards?
C) Cars 3
D) The Boss Baby
60. A watch reads 3:30. If the minute hand points to the west, what will be
the direction of the hour hand point?
61. A tank can be filled by a pipe in 40 hours. But due to a leak, the tank
gets filled in 60 hours. In how much time will a full tank get emptied due to
A) 140 hours
B) 112 hours
C) 120 hours
D) 100 hours
62. Find the probability of a non-leap year containing 53 Sundays.
63. If an article costing Rs. 696 is sold at a profit of 50/3%, what is the
A) Rs. 812
B) Rs. 792
C) Rs. 842
D) Rs. 802
64. Sonal Mansingh is an Indian-
A) Classical singer
B) Western singer
C) Western dancer
D) Classical dancer
65. Choose from the alternative the figure that best completes the pattern
66. Zinc replaces copper from-
A) Zinc sulphate
B) Copper oxide
C) Copper sulphate
D) Sulphuric acid
67. What is Hydroponics ?
A) The conservation of water
B) Growing plants without soil, but on water
C) Growing plants without water but with atmospheric moisture
D) The treatment of water with sound
68. If 3 # 2 = 12, 5 # 4 = 30 and 4 # 3 = 20, then what will be 6 # 2?
69. A ray of light passing through optical centre of a convex lens emerging
after refraction will be-
A) Through the centre of curvature
B) Without any deviation
C) Parallel to the principal axis
D) Through the principal focus
70. Choose the figure that best represents the relationship among the
classes given below.
71. The slender tube used to drain liquids in a patient is is called-
72. Read the following information carefully and answer the question given
Five girls Maha, Malathi, Madhu, Malini and Meera are sitting on a bench
facing north. Maha is sitting next to Malathi. Malini is sitting next to Madhu.
Malini is not sitting with Meera. Meera is on the left end of the bench. Madhu
is on the second position from the right. Maha sits to the right of Malathi.
Maha and Madhu are sitting together.
Between who among the following is Madhu sitting?
A) Malathi and Meera
B) Malathi and Maha
C) Maha and Malini
D) Maha and Meera
73. There are five friends—Arun, Bala, Chandru, Deepan and Sunil. Arun is
shorter than Bala, but taller than Sunil. Chandru is the tallest. Deepan is a
little shorter than Bala and a little taller than Arun.
Who among the following has two persons taller and two persons shorter than him?
74. Which of the following Articles in the Constitution grants us the Right
A) Article 368
B) Article 14-18
C) Article 32
D) Article 19-22
75. Which of the following is an example of infrasound?
A) The chirp of a cricket
B) Vibrations of a pendulum
C) Music of guitar
D) Buzz of the bees
76. The numerical ratio of displacement to distance for a moving object is-
A) Always equal to 1
B) Equal or less than 1
C) Always less than 1
D) Always more than 1
77. If one can buy 5 kg more of apples for Rs.165 when the price gets
reduced by 20%, what is the reduced price?
78. What is the error got in dividing a number by 1/2 instead of multiplying
79. On what properties of the medium does the speed of sound depend?
A) Both nature and temperature of the medium
B) Temperature of the medium
C) Nature of the medium
D) Sound reflecting capacity of the medium
80. Which word will best complete the relationship given below?
Laugh : Joy :: Cry : ?
81. Which of the following is generally used as a fire extinguisher?
A) Sodium bicarbonate
B) Sodium chloride
C) Sodium hydroxide
D) Sodium carbonate
82. While cooking, if the bottom of the vessel is getting blackened on the
outside, it means that-
A) The fuel is wet
B) The food is not cooked
C) Fuel is burning completely
D) The fuel is not burnt completely
83. In this question, a statement is given followed by three conclusions.
Choose the conclusion(s) which best fit(s) logically.
A ≥ B > C = D
I. C = A
II. D ≤ A
III. D < B
A) Only conclusions I and II are true
B) Only conclusions I and III are true
C) Only conclusions II and III are true
D) Only conclusion III is true
84. Who among the following awarded with Padma Vibhushan in 2019 is a
A) Balwant Moreshwar Purandare
B) Anilkumar Manibhai Naik
C) Teejan Bai
D) Ismail Omar Guelleh
85. A man starts from his house and walks 10 km in south direction, then he
turns right and goes 6 km, again he turns right and goes 10 km and finally turns
right and goes 12 km. At what distance and in which direction is he from the
A) 4 km, east
B) 6 km, north
C) 6 km, east
D) 6 km, south
86. P and Q can do a piece of work in 16 days and 12 days individually. If P
starts the work and P and Q work on alternate days, then in how many days will
the work be completed?
87. Who among the following has been appointed as non-executive chairman of
Bank of Baroda in 2019?
A) Biju Varkkey
B) P.S. Jayakumar
C) Shanti Lal Jain
D) Hasmukh Adhia
88. Electronic Voting Machines were first used in India in the year-
89. Which of the following pollutions is caused by the burning of fossil
A) Acid rain
B) Noise pollution
C) Water pollution
D) Light pollution
90. Three numbers with LCM 1200 are in the ratio 3 : 4 : 5. What is their
91. Sixteen cake pieces and forty chocolates are distributed among a group
of children such that each child gets both the items in equal number. What can
be the maximum number of children in the group?
92. How does the force of gravitation between two objects change when the
distance between them is reduced to half?
A) The force of gravitation is tripled
B) The force of gravitation is four times
C) The force of gravitation is halved
D) The force of gravitation is doubled
93. Two circles can have at the most _______ number of common tangents.
94. Which state is known as India's spice garden?
95. The number of perfect cubes between 11 and 50, that are also perfect
96. Which word will best complete the relationship given below?
Concert : Theatre :: Banquet : ?
97. Which of the following is water soluble?
98. Aarthi goes for morning walk at 6 O'clock towards sun for 2 km. Then,
she turns to her right and walks 3 km. She again turns to her left and walks 2
km. Finally, she turns to her left to walk another 6 km. In which direction is
she moving and at what distance from the last turn is she standing now?
A) 6 km, east
B) 9 km, east
C) 6 km, north
D) 9 km, north
99. If 'BEAUTY' is coded as 'DHEZZF', how will 'FLOWER' be coded?
100. In this question, two statements are given followed by three
conclusions. Choose the conclusion(s) which best fit(s) logically.
1) Some windows are boxes.
2) All boxes are tables.
I. All tables are boxes.
II. No table is window.
III. Some windows are tables.
A) Only conclusion III follows
B) Only conclusions I and II follow
C) Only conclusion I follows
D) All conclusions follow
1. (a), 2. (c), 3. (d), 4. (d), 5. (b), 6. (b), 7. (b), 8. (d), 9. (d) 10. (d)
11. (a), 12. (c), 13. (d), 14. (a), 15. (c), 16. (c), 17. (d), 18. (d), 19. (a),
21. (b), 22. (c),23. (d), 24. (c), 25. (b), 26. (a), 27. (b), 28. (d), 29. (a),
31. (c), 32. (b), 33. (d), 34. (c), 35. (c), 36. (a), 37. (c), 38. (a), 39. (d),
41. (a), 42. (d), 43. (a), 44. (a), 45. (c), 46. (d), 47. (d), 48. (b), 49. (c),
51. (b), 52. (d), 53. (d), 54. (d), 55. (b), 56. (a), 57. (a), 58. (a), 59. (a),
61. (c), 62. (a), 63. (a), 64. (d), 65. (d), 66. (c), 67. (b), 68. (c), 69. (b),
71. (a), 72. (c), 73. (c), 74. (d), 75. (b), 76. (b), 77. (d), 78. (a), 79. (a),
81. (a), 82. (d), 83. (d), 84. (d), 85. (c), 86. (b), 87. (d), 88. (d), 89. (a)
91. (a), 92. (b), 93. (c), 94. (d), 95. (c), 96. (d), 97. (d), 98. (c), 99. (d),