(Download) Railway Recruitment Board : Junior Engineer
(JE) Exam Papers-27-JUNE-2019
1. Complete the series.
64, 144, 256, 400, (...)
2. 7, 9, 12, 14, 17, 19, (...)
3. Simplify: sin θ /(1 + cos θ)
A) sec θ + tan θ
B) sec θ - tan θ
C) cosec θ + cot θ
D) cosec θ - cot θ
4. 8 men and 12 boys can complete a work in 12 days. In what time will 40
men and 45 boys complete another work three times as much, if 16 men can do as
much work in 8 hours as 12 boys can do in 24 hours?
A) 15 days
B) 8 days
C) 12 days
D) 10 days
5. In a certain code language, 'POCKET' is written as 'QNDJFS'. How is
'SILVER' written in that code?
6. Which of the following is NOT a Voice Assistant?
7. If a*b = (a + b) + ab, then find the value of 3*5 - 2*3.
8. Arrange the following media - solids, liquids and gases, in descending
order of speed of sound through them.
A) Solids, liquids, gases
B) Gases, liquids, solids
C) Solids, gases, liquids
D) Liquids, solids, gases
9. What is the value of 'K', if K, 2K + 1, 2K + 5, 2K + 9 have 30 as the
10. Sum of the angles of a regular polygon is 2160°. How many sides does the
11. In Men’s Hockey, Indian men’s national field hockey team defeated _____
to clinch a bronze medal at the 2018 Jakarta Asian Games.
C) Sri Lanka
12. Find the smallest 3 digit number that is exactly divisible by 12, 15 and
13. Sum of the ages of two sisters is 81. Their ages are in the ratio 4 : 5.
By how many years is one sister younger than the other?
14. If the loss is 15%, then what is the ratio of cost price to the selling
A) 17 : 20
B) 15 : 17
C) 20 : 17
D) 10 : 9
15. ________ holds the top position among Indian universities in the Times
Higher Education's World University Rankings for 2019.
A) Anna University
B) University of Delhi
C) Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bengaluru
D) Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Hyderabad
16. 2019 IPL is the ________ season of IPL.
17. An element belongs to period 2 and group 2; the number of valence
electrons in the atoms of this element is-
18. There is a leak in a tank that can empty it in 8 hours. There is also a
pipe fitted to the tank that can admit 6 litres of water per hour. The pipe is
opened, but due to leak, the tank gets emptied in 12 hours. What is the capacity
of the tank?
A) 120 litres
B) 144 litres
C) 78 litres
D) 80 litres
19. Photolysis is a decomposition reaction caused by-
D) Mechanical energy
20. Ratio of the time taken by three taps P, Q and R to individually fill a
cistern is 2 : 1 : 6. Which tap is the fastest?
B) Cannot be determined
21. Which of the following is the formula of power?
A) All of the options
B) P = V x I
C) P = V²/R
D) P = I² x R
22. Who is the present Chief Election Commissioner of India?
A) Sunil Arora
B) N. Gopalaswamy
C) Navin Chawla
D) Om Prakash Rawat
23. What is the frequency range of infrasound?
A) Between 200 Hz and 2000 Hz
B) Above 20 kHz
C) Below 20 Hz
D) Between 20 Hz and 20 kHz
24. How many odd days are there in 94 years?
25. Which of the following is NOT a citrus fruit?
A) Sweet lime
26. Rate of evaporation increases with increase in-
B) Surface area
D) Both surface area and temperature
27. Complete the series.
6, 11, 21, 36, 56, (...)
28. Enzyme is fundamentally:
29. Which of these rivers flows through Cuttack?
30. Who among the following discovered the electron?
A) E. Goldstein
B) J.J. Thomson
C) J. Chadwick
D) Ernest Rutherford
31. Fungi that feed exclusively on insects are called-
32. In this question, two statements are given followed by three
conclusions. Choose the conclusion(s) which best fit(s) logically.
1) Some cars are roads.
2) Some buses are roads.
I. No bus is a car.
II. Some buses are cars.
III. No road is a bus.
A) Only conclusions I and II follow
B) All conclusions follow
C) Only conclusion I follows
D) Either conclusion I or II follows
33. Who among the following proposed the indivisibility of an atom?
34. Which of the following vitamins contains the mineral cobalt?
A) Vitamin B3
B) Vitamin B2
C) Vitamin B12
D) Vitamin B6
35. What is the other name of the buoyant force exerted by water on an
A) Frictional force
C) Mechanical force
36. Three pipes A, B and C together can fill a tank in 6 hours. They are
open for 2 hours at first. Then C is closed and A and B fill the remaining part
in 7 hours. In what time can C alone fill the tank?
A) 14 hours
B) 12 hours
C) 11 hours
D) 10 hours
37. In periodic table, Aluminum is diagonally related to-
38. Read the following information carefully and answer the question given
Five persons—Senthil, Shiva, Praveen, Prakash and Vasanth are sitting on a
bench facing north. Senthil is sitting next to Shiva. Prakash is sitting next to
Praveen. Prakash is not sitting with Vasanth. Vasanth is on the left end of the
bench. Praveen is on the second position from the right. Senthil sits to the
right of Shiva. Senthil and Praveen are sitting together.
Who among the following sits second to the right of Shiva?
39. I walked 10 km from point A towards west and turned right and covered 2
km. Again, I turned right and walked 10 km and reached point B. What is the
distance between points A and B and which direction am I facing?
A) 2 km, east
B) 8 km, north
C) 8 km, east
D) 2 km, north
40. In what time will Rs.1000 become Rs.1331 at 10% per annum compounded
A) 5 years
B) 3 years
C) 2 years
D) 4 years
41. The non-metal which is liquid at room temperature is-
42. Find the ODD one out from the given options.
43. _______ is known as the "Festival of Lights''.
A) Makar Sankranti
C) Gudi Padwa
44. Berana is a wedding ceremony of-
45. Find the ODD one out from the given options.
46. Find the missing number in the following series.
3, 12, 52, (...), 1596, 11179
47. In a school picnic group, 2/9 of the group were adults and there were 95
more number of children than adults. How many children were there?
48. Sarcolemma is the membrane that covers-
A) Nerve fibre
B) Spinal cord
C) Muscle fibre
D) Visceral fibre
49. Vinod is richer than Raju. Anand is richer than Ashok but not richer
than Raju. Ashok is richer than Sanjay but not richer than Vinod. Who among them
is the poorest?
50. Find the value of (1-1/2)(1-1/3)(1-1/4)…(1-1/50).
51. Which of the following is neither an acid nor a base?
52. To increase the friction and to get a better grip of the ball, what does
a cricket bowler do?
A) He rubs the cricket ball on his thighs
B) He throws it to the captain and gets it back
C) He gets a new ball from the umpire
D) He runs to the boundary to get advice from the bowling coach
53. Choose the alternative that best replaces the question mark(?) in the
54. Find the greatest number that will divide the numbers 400, 435 and 541
leaving remainders 9, 10 and 14 respectively.
55. A cart runs at the rate of 4 km/h for the first 10 km and at 2 km/h for
the second 10 km. Find the average speed of the cart in km/h.
A) 5.54 km/h
B) 2.67 km/h
C) 3.33 km/h
D) 2 km/h
56. Divide Rs.3364 between A and B so that the share of A after 5 years may
be equal to the share of B after 7 years at 5% rate compounded annually. Find
the share of A.
57. Simplify: [5.605 + 0.65 + 0.5] ÷ 5
58. Which of the following trees is NOT a coniferous tree?
59. A rectangular sheet has its length equal to twice the breadth. If V1, V2
are the volumes of the cylinders formed by folding the sheet along its length
and along its breadth, then find the ratio of V1 to V2.
A) 1 : 3
B) 2 : 1
C) 2 : 3
D) 1 : 1
60. In which of the following states is the Guru Shikhar Peak located?
D) Madhya Pradesh
61. If east becomes south and south becomes west and so on, what will be
B) North east
D) North west
62. In the given figure, the circle represents dancers, triangles represents
actors, and square represents singers. What does T represent?
A) Dancers who are both singers and actors
B) Dancers who are not singers
C) Dancers who are singers but not actors
D) Dancers who are actors only
63. If the bus stops suddenly, the passengers in the bus will tend to fall-
A) Both backwards and sideways due to torque
B) Forward as the lower part of the body comes to rest with the bus while the
upper part tends to continue its motion
C) Sideways as that of direction of motion of bus
D) Backward because the lower part of his body starts moving with the bus but
the upper part tries to remain at rest
64. A two-digit number gets reversed on adding 18 to it. The product of the
digits is '8'. What is the number?
65. The end digit of the square of a number is 1. Then the end digit of its
A) 1 or 9
B) 9 only
C) Any odd number
D) 1 only
66. Choose the pair which shows the same relationship as in the pair given
Kerala : Tamil Nadu
A) Uttar Pradesh : Madhya Pradesh
B) New Delhi : Mumbai
C) Port Blair : Andaman and Nicobar
D) Charminar : Hyderabad
67. What is the pH value of a solution which turns red litmus blue?
C) Less than 4
D) Greater than 7
68. Which of the following metals is the lightest?
69. Malaria can be cured with a drug extracted from -
A) Belladonna tree
B) Amaltas tree
C) Oak tree
D) Cinchona tree
70. When was the International Monetary Fund created?
71. In a certain code language, 'CASUAL' is written as 'FXVRDI'. How would
'PEOPLE' be written in that code language?
72. Who among the following was the first Chairman of the Planning
A) J.B. Kripalani
B) Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel
C) Dr. Rajendra Prasad
D) Jawaharlal Nehru
73. In the following question, which of the two signs are interchanged to
make the equation correct?
5 + 3 x 8 - 12 ÷ 4 = 3
A) + and -
B) ÷ and +
C) ÷ and -
D) x and ÷
74. Find the wrong group of alphabets in the following series.
CMM, EOO, GQQ, IPP, KUU
75. Difference between 52% and 24% of a number is 112. What is 12.5% of the
76. What is the most important function of perspiration?
A) To regulate the body temperature
B) To get rid of the body wastes
C) To regulate the body water supply
D) To lubricate the epithelial tissue
77. Forests increase the atmosphere’s humidity by-
78. What is the mode for the distribution?
79. In this question, a statement is given followed by three conclusions.
Choose the conclusion(s) which best fit(s) logically.
H > K = R ≤ J < F
I. R < H
II. F > R
III. H > J
A) Only conclusion III is true
B) Only conclusions II and III are true
C) Only conclusions I and III are true
D) Only conclusions I and II are true
80. What is the LCM of (a3 - b3), (a² - b²), (a - b)?
A) (a - b)
B) (a3 - b3)
C) (a3 - b3) (a + b)
D) (a3 - b3) (a² - b²)
81. What is the amount of heat produced by burning a unit mass of the fuel
A) Volatile capacity of fuel
B) Thermal capacity of fuel
C) Ignition temperature of fuel
D) Calorific value of fuel
82. The cost of rice increases to Rs. 30 per kg from Rs. 25 per kg. By how
much percentage the consumption is reduced to maintain the same
83. Ten years ago, the ratio of ages of P, Q and R is 1 : 2 : 3. The total
age at present is 90. How old is Q now?
84. Where was the session of Indian National Congress which was presided by
Mahatma Gandhi held?
85. A watch reads 12 o'clock. If the minute hand points west, in what
direction will the hour hand point?
86. If '+' means 'x', '-' means '+', 'x' means '÷' and '÷' means '-' , then
6 - 9 + 8 x 3 ÷ 20 = ?
87. From point P, Akshay starts walking towards east. After walking 30 m, he
turns to his right and walks 10 m. He then turns to his right and walks for 30
m. He again turns to his right and walks 30 m. How far and in which direction is
he from the point P?
A) 10 m, north
B) Point P itself
C) 20 m, north
D) 20 m, west
88. Lactose is a disaccharide consisting of-
A) Glucose and galactose
B) Glucose and ribose
C) Glucose and sucrose
D) Glucose and fructose
89. A train crosses a platform 100 m long in 60 seconds at a speed of 45
km/h. Find the time taken by the train to cross an electric pole.
A) 1 minute
B) 2 minutes
C) 8 seconds
D) 52 seconds
90. In this question, two statements are given followed by three
conclusions. Choose the conclusion(s) which best fit(s) logically.
1) All bricks are buildings.
2) Some bricks are hotels.
I. Some hotels are buildings.
II. No hotel is building.
III. Some hotels are bricks.
A) Only conclusions II and III follow
B) None of the conclusions follows
C) Only conclusion I follows
D) Only conclusions I and III follow
91. What waves are produced during earthquakes?
A) Cosmic waves
B) Seismic waves
C) Surface waves
D) Sound waves
92. Read the following information carefully and answer the question given
Twelve friends are sitting in two parallel rows containing six people
each, in such a way that there is an equal distance between adjacent persons. In
row-1, I, J, K, L, M and N are seated, and all of them are facing south. In
row-2, U, V, W, X, Y and Z are seated, and all of them are facing north.
Therefore, in the given seating arrangement each member seated in a row faces
another member of the other row.
U sits third to the right of X. Neither U nor X sits at the extreme ends. M
faces X. N does not face U, and N does not sit at any of the extreme ends. N is
not an immediate neighbour of M. V sits at one of the extreme ends. Only two
people sit between V and Y. Y does not face N. Two persons sit between K and J.
K is not an immediate neighbour of M. W does not face N. I is not an immediate
neighbour of K.
Which of the following pairs sits at the extreme ends of the row?
A) X and Z
B) I and K
C) V and Z
D) M and N
93. Which of the following devices are made with alloys like nichrome,
constantan, manganin, with high resistances?
94. The focal length of a convex lens is 2.5 m. What is its power?
A) 0.4 D
B) 0.2 D
C) 0.3 D
D) 0.5 D
95. Among the four fractions given below, which one is greater than 7/12 but
lesser than 11/16?
96. Where were the Asian Games held in 2018?
D) New Delhi
97. If 2805 ÷ 2.55 = 1100, then find the value of 280.5 ÷ 25.5.
98. What is the age of retirement of a Judge of the Supreme Court?
99. Vitamin C is also called as-
A) Acetic acid
C) Ascorbic acid
D) Folic acid
100. Among A, B, C, D and E, A is taller than only B but shorter than C. C
is taller than E. C is not the tallest. Who among them will be in the middle if
they stand in the order of their height?
1. (a), 2. (c), 3. (d), 4. (b), 5. (d), 6. (d), 7. (c), 8. (a), 9. (d), 10. (d)
11. (a), 12. (b), 13. (c), 14. (c), 15. (c), 16. (d), 17. (d), 18. (b), 19. (b),
21. (a), 22. (a), 23. (c), 24. (c), 25. (b), 26. (d), 27. (d), 28. (a), 29. (c),
31. (a), 32. (d), 33. (a), 34. (c), 35. (d), 36. (a), 37. (d), 38. (d), 39. (a),
41. (c), 42. (b), 43. (d), 44. (c), 45. (a), 46. (a), 47. (a), 48. (c), 49. (c),
51. (b), 52. (a), 53. (a), 54. (d), 55. (b), 56. (c), 57. (c), 58. (a), 59. (b),
61. (d), 62. (c), 63. (b), 64. (c), 65. (a), 66. (a), 67. (d), 68. (a), 69. (d),
71. (b), 72. (d), 73. (c), 74. (b), 75. (c), 76. (a), 77. (c), 78. (d), 79. (d),
81. (d), 82. (d), 83. (c), 84. (b), 85. (c), 86. (d), 87. (c), 88. (a), 89. (d),
91. (b), 92. (b), 93. (d), 94. (a), 95. (c), 96. (b), 97. (d), 98. (c), 99. (c),