(Download) Railway Recruitment Board : Junior Engineer
(JE) Exam Papers-22-MAY-2019
1. Which of the following is a saturated hydrocarbon?
2. Which of the following is TRUE about Mass and Weight?
A) Mass is a scalar and weight is a vector
B) Both are scalar quantities
C) Both are vector quantities
D) Mass is a vector and weight is a scalar
3. A number of two-digits has 3 for its unit's digit, and the sum of the
digits is 1/7 of the number itself. Find the number.
4. Which of the following is NOT a multi-seeded fruit?
5. Find the ODD one out from the given options.
A) 15 : 46
B) 12 : 39
C) 8 : 25
D) 9 : 28
6. 42 horses consume 270 kg of corn in 27 days. If there are 21 horses only,
then how many days will 300 kg of corn last?
7. Read the following information carefully and answer the question given
Eight friends—P, Q, R, S, T, U, V and W are sitting around a circular
table facing the center but not necessarily in the same order. Each one of them
wears different colours of shirts—blue, green, red, black, yellow, white, purple
P sits third to the right of the one who wears pink, and only two people sit
between the one who wears pink and W. Those who wear yellow and green are the
immediate neighbours. Neither P nor W wears yellow or green. The one who wears
yellow is not an immediate neighbour of the one who wears pink. The one who
wears blue sits second to the left of T. T is not an immediate neighbour of W.
The one who wears blue is an immediate neighbour of both those who wear white
and purple. The one who wears purple sits third to the right of Q. Q does not
wear yellow. R sits to the immediate right of the one who wears red. P does not
wear red. U is not an immediate neighbour of P. V is not an immediate neighbour
of the one who wears blue.
The person who wears ________ sits exactly between those who wear pink and
8. Which of these creatures do NOT have teeth?
9. Himawari-9 is a Japanese _______ satellite.
10. The total of ages of X, Y and Z is 27. X is 2 years older than Y and Y
is twice as old as Z. What is the age of Y?
11. The population of a city has been increasing at 5% every year. The
present population is 185220. What was its population 3 years back?
12. Which of these blood components carries oxygen?
13.Who is India's first woman grandmaster in chess?
A) Saheli Dhar
B) Bhagyashree Thipsay
C) S. Vijayalakshmi
D) R. Khadilkar
14. Simplify: √176 +√2401
15. What is the resultant resistance if 2 Ω resistors are connected in
A) 0.5 Ω
B) 3 Ω
C) 2 Ω
D) 1 Ω
16. Choose the figure that best represents the relationship among the
classes given below.
Pharmacists, Professionals, Architects, Carpenters
17. In which district of Jharkhand is Tagore Hill located?
18. From a point 'P', Rohit walks for 5 km towards east direction. He then
turns right and walks for 2 km. Again he turns right and walks for 3 km; He then
again turns right and walks for 2 km to reach a point 'Q'. What is the distance
between the points 'P' and 'Q'?
A) 1 km
B) 2 km
C) 3 km
D) 4 km
19. 0.04 × 0.0123 is equivalent to ________.
A) 4.92 × 10-6
B) 4.92 × 10-4
C) 492 × 10-4
D) 492 × 10-5
20. On a certain sum of money, the Compound Interest for 2 years is Rs.309
and the Simple Interest is Rs.300. Find the rate of interest per annum.
21. If 8 # 2 @ 5 = 21 and 4 # 6 @ 2 = 26, then what will be 3 # 7 @ 9?
22. Find the wrong number in the following series.
9, 15, 24, 34, 51, 69
23. Buses come out of a bus terminus in intervals of 10 minutes at 20 km/h.
A man coming from opposite direction towards the terminus meets the buses at
intervals of 8 minutes. What is his speed?
A) 6 km/h
B) 4 km/h
C) 3.75 km/h
D) 5 km/h
24. If in a certain code, 'bir le nac' means 'green and tasty', 'pic nac hor'
means 'tomato is green' and 'coc bir hor' means 'food is tasty', which of the
following means 'tomato is tasty' in that code?
A) bir le hor
B) pic le coc
C) pic hor nac
D) hor bir pic
25. If the perimeter of a triangle is 28 cm and its inradius is 3.5 cm, what
is its area?
A) 28 cm²
B) 42 cm²
C) 35 cm²
D) 49 cm²
26. A shopkeeper gives a discount of 10% once in 4 months. If a man
purchases an article in this scheme for Rs.25515 in December, then what was the
initial price in January?
27. Arrange the following fractions in descending order.
5/6, 3/7, 8/9, 3/14
A) 3/7, 8/9, 5/6, 3/14
B) 5/6, 8/9, 3/7, 3/14
C) 8/9, 3/14, 3/7, 5/6
D) 8/9, 5/6, 3/7, 3/14
28. Find the missing number in the following series.
2, 7, 16, (…), 46, 67, 92
29. P and Q enter into a partnership with investments of Rs.1400 and Rs.1800
respectively. They share half of the profit equally for running the business and
the remaining profit in the ratio of their investments. If the difference in
their shares of profits is Rs.47, what is the total profit?
30. Which of the following Articles deals with 'Prohibition of traffic in
human beings and forced labour'?
A) Article 27
B) Article 30
C) Article 23
D) Article 29
31. The LCM of two numbers which are in the ratio 2 : 3 is 48. What is their
32. What is 'Halitosis' commonly known as?
A) Blood Pressure
B) Head ache
C) Bad breath
33. What is the common name of gases and liquids?
34. If 'MISTAKE' is coded as 9765412 and 'NAKED' is coded as 84123, how is
35. The angle of elevation of a hot-air balloon climbing vertically changes
from 30° at 10:00 AM to 60° at 10:02 AM as observed from a point 300 m away from
the take-off point. What is the upward speed of the balloon?
A) 2 m/s
B) 2.18 m/s
C) 3.4 m/s
D) 2.9 m/s
36. A group of similar organisms which are genetically distinct and
reproductively isolated, is called a/an-
37. Which of the following is the process of splitting up of the heavy
nucleus of a radioactive atom into smaller nuclei when bombarded with low energy
A) Nuclear destruction
B) Nuclear fusion
C) Nuclear generation
D) Nuclear fission
38. If tan 2A = cot(A-18°) and 2A is an acute angle, then find 'A'.
39. _____ is the physical quantity of the substance which is numerically
equal to the resistance of a rod of that substance which is 1 m long and 1 sq m
40. Noise pollution is measured in-
41. Choose from the alternatives the figure that best completes the pattern
42. What should be the minimum age to get the Rajya Sabha membership?
A) 35 years
B) 25 years
C) 18 years
D) 30 years
43. Read the following information carefully and answer the question given
Five friends Arun, Bala, Cheenu, Dinesh and Elango are sitting on a bench
facing north. Arun is sitting next to Bala. Dinesh is sitting next to Cheenu.
Dinesh is not sitting with Elango. Elango is on the left end of the bench.
Cheenu is on the second position from the right. Arun sits to the right of Bala.
What is the position of Dinesh?
A) Extreme right
B) Third from right
C) Second from left
D) Extreme left
44. With which type of acid is the atmosphere of Venus made up of?
A) Hydrochloric acid
B) Oxalic acid
C) Sulphuric acid
D) Nitric acid
45. P alone can do a job in 18 days. P and Q working together can do it in
15 days. They started to work together. After 10 days Q left, and P alone has to
complete the job. In how many more days can P complete the job?
A) 8 days
B) 6 days
C) 7 days
D) 5 days
46. Which of the following can cause damage to buildings?
A) Shock waves produced by supersonic aircraft
B) Subsonic sound
D) Sound at about 10kHz
47. Which of the following banks became the third largest Bank in India in
A) SBI Bank
B) Axis Bank
C) HDFC Bank
D) Bank of Baroda
48. When the speed of any object exceeds the speed of sound, it is said to
be travelling at which speed?
49. A gain of 12% is got by selling an article for Rs.3360. What should be
the selling price, if the profit aimed is only 8%?
50. Find the missing number in the following series.
4, 7, 12, (…), 28, 39
51. To obtain an enlarged real inverted image beyond 2F2 after refraction by
convex lens, where should the object be placed?
A) Between F1 and 2F1
B) Between focus F1 and optic centre O
C) At infinity
D) At 2F1
52. How many squares are there in the given figure?
53. Which number will best complete the relationship given below?
6 : 36 :: 8 : ?
54. Perimeter of an isosceles triangle is 32 cm. The base is 6/5 times the
equal side. What is the area?
A) 48 cm²
B) 57 cm²
C) 64 cm²
D) 39 cm²
55. If '+' means '÷', '-' means '+', '÷' means 'x' and 'x' means '-', then
32 + 4 - 8 x 4 ÷ 3 = ?
56. Which word will best complete the relationship given below?
Volume : Litre :: Length : ?
57. Find the group of wrong alphabets in the following series.
M, C, P, F, T, G, Y
58. An opthalmologist is one who treats-
59. Find the ODD one out from the given options.
60. If Rs.64 amounts to Rs.83.20 in 2 years, what will Rs.86 amount to in 4
years at the same rate per cent Simple Interest per annum?
61. Which of the following does NOT belong to the plant kingdom?
62. Which of the following options will best complete the relationship given
63. If the ratio of ages of A and B is 5 : 6 and sum of their ages is 55,
what is the age of A?
64. Who among the following has become the first ever captain to win 100
matches in IPL history?
A) David Warner
B) M.S. Dhoni
C) Virat Kohli
D) Rohit Sharma
65. Which Indian cricket ground hosted the first ever Test match in India?
A) Bombay Gymkhana
B) Feroz Shah Kotla
C) Chepauk Stadium
D) Eden Gardens
66. What is the nature of bleaching powder?
A) Blistering agent
B) Oxidising agent
C) Sulphonating agent
D) Reducing agent
67. Breaking of silver bromide into silver and bromine is an example of
A) Neutralisation reaction
B) Redox reaction
C) Decomposition reaction
D) Combination reaction
68. ______________ is the matter or substance through which sound is
69. If 2720 ÷ 2710 = 3K, then find the value of K.
70. What comes in the place of * ?
5/4 + 7/6 - 9/8 = * + 13/12
71. Esters have _________ smell.
72. Simplify : tan (60° - Ө) - cot (30° + Ө)
B) 2+ √3/√3
D) √3 + 1/√3
73. Which constellation has other names as The big dipper, Great bear and
A) Ursa Major
C) Ursa minor
74. Functional group –CHO is present in which of the following?
B) Carboxylic acid
75. The disease caused by deficiency of protein in children is called-
76. A person borrows Rs.5000 for 2 years at 4% per annum Simple Interest. He
immediately lends it to another person at 6.25% per annum for 2 years. Find his
gain in the transaction per year.
77. Which of these is NOT a bone in the human body?
78. Two right circular cones of height 16.4 cm and 17.2 cm respectively have
base radius of 8.4 cm. These two cones are melted and recast into a sphere. Find
the diameter of the sphere.
A) 16.8 cm
B) 8.4 cm
C) 8.2 cm
D) 8.6 cm
79. Which of the following Ministries won the platinum of Web Ratna Award in
Digital India Awards 2018?
A) Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports
B) Ministry of Communications and Information Technology
C) Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises
D) Ministry of Corporate Affairs
80. The main function of vitamin K is in-
A) Skin health
B) Calcium absorption
C) Blood clotting
D) Immune system
81. Find the missing number in the following series.
110, 99, 86, (…), 54, 35
82. Find the ODD one out from the given options.
83. Which of the following dances is NOT a classical dance of India?
84. Two numbers are in the ratio 3 : 5. Their LCM is 75. What is their HCF?
85. A train 120 m long crosses a platform of length 100 m in 10 seconds.
What is its speed?
A) 79.2 km/h
B) 72 km/h
C) 100 km/h
D) 80 km/h
86. A man walks from P to Q at the rate of 5 km/h and returns from Q to P at
3 km/h. What is his average speed for the whole journey?
A) 3.5 km/h
B) 3.75 km/h
C) 8 km/h
D) 3.25 km/h
87. Which word will best complete the relationship given below?
Charminar : India :: Pyramid : ?
88. Malachite is an ore of-
89. If 2508 ÷ 12.54 + (X × 11) = 200, then find the value of 'X'.
90. Village Chimur is 20 km to the north of village Rewa. Village Rahate is
18 km to the east of village Rewa. Village Angne is 12 km to the west of Chimur.
If Sanjay starts from village Rahate and goes to village Angne, in which
direction is he from his starting point?
91. With which sport is the term 'silly point' associated?
92. One morning after sunrise, Kumar was standing in a ground facing a pole.
The shadow of the pole fell exactly to his right. Which direction was he facing?
B) Data inadequate
93. In which of the following Indian states is Dal Lake situated?
A) Uttar Pradesh
B) Himachal Pradesh
D) Jammu and Kashmir
94. National Income in India is measured in terms of-
A) Net National Product at Market Price
B) Gross National Product
C) Net National Product at Factor Cost
D) Gross Domestic Product
95. Which of the following kings was the father of Sanghamitra and
A) Krishnadeva Raya
96. The sum of the atomic masses of all the atoms in a molecule of the
B) Molecular mass
C) Atomic mass
D) Formula mass
97. The mass number of deuterium is-
98. Complete the series.
ZZ, TX, NU, HP, (…)
99. A homogeneous mixture of two or more substances is known as the-
1. (c), 2. (a), 3. (a), 4. (c), 5. (b), 6. (b), 7. (a), 8.
(c), 9. (a),10. (c)
11. (a), 12. (b), 13. (c), 14. (a), 15. (d), 16. (d), 17. (c), 18. (b), 19. (b)
21. (a), 22. (a), 23. (d), 24. (d), 25. (d), 26. (b), 27. (d), 28. (b), 29. (c)
31. (b), 32. (c), 33. (d), 34. (d), 35. (d), 36. (b), 37. (d), 38. (d), 39. (b)
41. (d), 42. (d), 43. (a), 44. (c), 45. (b), 46. (a), 47. (d), 48. (c), 49. (a)
51. (a), 52. (c), 53. (c), 54. (a), 55. (c), 56. (a), 57. (d), 58. (b), 59. (a)
61. (a), 62. (d), 63. (d), 64. (b), 65. (a), 66. (b), 67. (c), 68. (a), 69. (d)
71. (b), 72. (c), 73. (a), 74. (a), 75. (c), 76. (c), 77. (c), 78. (a), 79. (c)
81. (b), 82. (c), 83. (d), 84. (b), 85. (a), 86. (b), 87. (b), 88. (a), 89. (d)
91. (d), 92. (d), 93. (d), 94. (c), 95. (d), 96. (b), 97. (a), 98. (d), 99. (d)